RX Fire Regulation in Plumas County

Two levels of authority in Plumas County primarily oversee regulation and permitting for prescribed fire.

Burn Status


Fire Authorities

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) at the unit level oversees at what point in the year burning in each county is “allowed” or “restricted.” Plumas County State Responsibility Area (SRA) lands are administered by the Lassen-Modoc-Plumas Unit (LMU). Check Current Burn Status here.

Check to see if you live within SRA or LRA here.

If you live in a Local Responsibility Area (LRA) contact your Fire Protection District for burning information. Parts of the communities of Chester, Portola, Sierra Valley, and Quincy fall within LRA. Find your FPD boundaries here. List of local fire authority contacts here.

In Plumas County, during the “allowed” burn season, no CAL FIRE permits are needed for burning.

When burning becomes “restricted” you need permits for burning activities:

Click here for the CAL FIRE permit portal. The process is completely online as of 2023.

An LE-62A is needed for residential piles (4’x4’x4′)
An LE-5 is needed for piles larger than stated above
An LE-7/8 is needed for broadcast/underburning

For CAL FIRE regulation questions contact Area Forester Jonathan Pangburn, Jonathan.Pangburn@fire.ca.gov

Air Quality Authority

Northern Sierra Air Quality District (NSAQMD) oversees air quality regulation in Nevada, Sierra, and Plumas Counties. The District determines daily burn status based on air quality and other factors. Check Burn Day Status here.

Burning is always prohibited within the Portola City limits, downtown Quincy, and East Quincy.

Burning is seasonally prohibited in American and Thompson Valleys. Check if you live within these areas here.

NSAQMD permits are required for any outdoor burning on non-residential property.

For residential property, a permit is required for any burn larger than an acre. Burns over 10 acres also require a smoke management plan.

Any burning within the American and Thompson Valley seasonal burn prohibition (Nov. 15-Mar. 15) requires a permit, no matter size of burn.

Click here for an example permit.

For NSAQMD regulation questions contact Air Pollution Control Specialist Julie Hunter, julieh@myairdistrict.com

Which permit do I need?

Do you live in Pumas County? This table might help you figure out what permits you need: