The PUC Process

Forms & Permits

How to underburn with us
How to pile burn with us
Informational Community Handout
PUC Membership Application
PUC Go/No-go Worksheet
NSAQMD Air Pollution Permit (Example only)
NSAQMD Smoke Management Plan
NSAQMD Acreage Fees For Permits
CAL FIRE Burn Permit Request
CAL FIRE Plumas Area Underburn Permit Request
CAL FIRE California Standardized Prescribed Fire Plan
Which Permit do I need?

Do you live in Pumas County? This table might help you figure out what permits you need:

How should I thin around my home?

This UC ANR PDF provided by Ryan Tompkins is a great starting point to thinning on your property! Thinning is often the first step of prescribed fire, especially when near structures or homes. Creating defensible space around your home will prevent damage to your home by lowering flame lengths and promote forest resiliency during the event of a wildland fire.

Other Resources

Burn Bosses for Hire

Have a complex burn unit identified? A PUC Coordinator can come walk your property and advise you on whether or not you’ll need a burn boss for hire.

DSS Wildfire Response
Incline Village, NV

Firestorm Wildland Fire Suppression
Chico, CA

High Sierra Fire
Janesville, CA

Woods Fire
Portola, CA

Helpful Websites

California Prescribed Burn Associations


National Weather Service Forecast Points

EPA AirNow Air Quality

National Wildfire Coordinating Group

Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District

Plumas County Fire Chiefs Association

Plumas County Fire Safe Council

Plumas National Forest

Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System

UC Cooperative Extension of Plumas, Sierra, and Lassen Counties

Want to get paid to do fuel reduction work on your land?

The NRCS may be able to help through their EQIP program.

Call the Quincy USDA Service Center for more information: (530) 283-7511